ATHLETE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
Supporting the dreams of local athletes
The Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards was developed in 2006 in conjunction with the Coast Bastion Inn to assist in supporting the dreams of athletes who represent Canada on the world stage. Some of the proceeds from the Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards are used to help support those athletes that are currently training to achieve a spot on one of Canada’s National Teams, but do not currently receive Sport Canada funding (AAP carding).
The Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards Society will pay approved training costs of selected athletes to a maximum of $2,000 on an annual basis, including such eligible items as:
- National team training and coaching fees
- Competition expenses (travel & fees)
- Sport Medicine and Science expenses
- Uniforms & Sport apparel expenses for training & competition
- The athlete will maintain a position of good standing with his/her National Sport Organization;
- The athlete will maintain a sport performance diary of key achievements in training and competition and be prepared to communicate with the Sport Achievement Awards Committee on a periodic bases advising of their training and competition journey;
- The athlete will meet with the Committee at least 2 times per year to speak of his/her sport training, competitions and the path taken to achieve their dreams;
- The athlete will be an active contributor within their community (volunteers, mentors, coaches)
The award will be for one year and may be renewed by applying to the committee and based on maintenance of eligibility.
Preference will be given to athletes currently training with Canadian National team’s who do not receive Sport Canada funding (AAP carding) and are in good standing with their National Sport Organization (NSO) and Provincial Sport Organization (PSO)
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee from the Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards.